ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 1st, 2013, 10:14 PM   #81
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

I ride because I can't afford a car. So something electric or with 60+ mpg I imagine.

But something that new and expensive would be costlier to insure....

Old November 1st, 2013, 11:27 PM   #82
80MPHdownhill
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Yes, please.

I have 4 cars and one ninjette.

All my cars are pretty fun to drive (here's 2 of them), but 99% of my commuting miles over the last year have been on the ninjette!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0333.jpg (97.7 KB, 17 views)
80MPHdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2013, 05:25 AM   #83
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
I'm torn between the FRS/BRZ and the WRX, anyone have any experiences with both?
Really? I guess everything is a matter of opinion, but for me every Subaru is so ugly, I wouldn't buy it no matter how good the engine is. The FRS, maybe because of Toyota, is actually decent looking. Also, you don't really need AWD unless there is snow or ice on the road. Most other times it just wastes fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80MPHdownhill View Post
I have 4 cars and one ninjette.

All my cars are pretty fun to drive (here's 2 of them), but 99% of my commuting miles over the last year have been on the ninjette!
You can't make a post like that without listing what your other two cars are
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:48 PM   #84
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
I'm torn between the FRS/BRZ and the WRX, anyone have any experiences with both?
i think it's more about what you want... they're completely different cars. one is an awd turbocharged sedan/hatch, the other is a rwd naturally aspirated 2+2 coupe.

fwiw, I have a friend who is selling his BRZ and buying a WRX because he can't fit anything in it.

and awd is much more than just something that helps in snow... it helps in lots of other aspects of driving. cornering, rain, snow, ice, etc. you have more usable power than any 2wd car. if you're looking at a car as an appliance to get you from point a to point b, sure, maybe you don't see much of a difference, but when you're cross-shopping a BRZ and WRX, AWD will make a difference.

go drive them. sit in them, get into the back of the BRZ, imagine packing to go to the airport, etc.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2013, 05:50 PM   #85
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Probably a built STI, it would have to do 0-60 somewhere in the 3 second region, and maintain reliability.

Old November 2nd, 2013, 06:05 PM   #86
Dragone
ninjette.org member

Name: Ted

Motorcycle(s): '86 VFR 750, '90 ZX7, '92 KZ1000, '05 ninja 500, '05 6RR, '06 10R, '07 ninja 250

This rig does not substitute my bikes, but it fits in well for most things. The excursion also makes it out of this valley on rough days. (the car that would get me off of the bike topic)

[/URL]
Dragone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2013, 09:27 AM   #87
iplante
I ride like a granny

Name: Isabelle

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R - EX250F

Nope, already got my dream car 2007 VW GTI Fahrenheit

Old November 3rd, 2013, 09:56 AM   #88
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 (sold) '12 Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
i think it's more about what you want... they're completely different cars. one is an awd turbocharged sedan/hatch, the other is a rwd naturally aspirated 2+2 coupe.
^^ This.

On a side note, Subaru's are selling like hot cakes lately and they are having trouble keeping up with demand! Their cars aren't particularly eye catching (IMO), but they have a good balance of price, features and high customer feedback. People who drive them, love them!

Old November 3rd, 2013, 07:41 PM   #89
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post

fwiw, I have a friend who is selling his BRZ and buying a WRX because he can't fit anything in it.

and awd is much more than just something that helps in snow... it helps in lots of other aspects of driving. cornering, rain, snow, ice, etc. you have more usable power than any 2wd car. if you're looking at a car as an appliance to get you from point a to point b, sure, maybe you don't see much of a difference, but when you're cross-shopping a BRZ and WRX, AWD will make a difference.

go drive them. sit in them, get into the back of the BRZ, imagine packing to go to the airport, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknyght View Post
^^ This.

On a side note, Subaru's are selling like hot cakes lately and they are having trouble keeping up with demand! Their cars aren't particularly eye catching (IMO), but they have a good balance of price, features and high customer feedback. People who drive them, love them!
One of the main reasons that the WRX attracted my attention was that it is AWD, even though I probably wouldn't tell the difference between RWD and AWD during normal commuting and in usually sunny weather.

Carrying capacity has little impact on my decision, as I rarely drive with any passengers and usually only have to carry my backpack and textbooks. My friend has an Impreza hatchback and I was amazed at all the space, but I realized that they're also a lot more active and have to carry sports equipment on a daily basis, which I do not. I've been reading that it's impossible to fit two people in the rear seats of the FR-S/BRZ but that is not a concern for my current needs.

Yeah, I'm a newbie when it comes to cars.

Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:29 PM   #90
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Interesting thread. My wife doesn't like me riding and actually approached me with an offer: Get rid of the bike and get a Fiat Abarth. Really.

< edit, I told her no >

I do not need a practical car.

So,realistically, probably something like this:

However I wouldn't mind the barking mad Hawk HF3000 Lancia Stratos replica (Lancia only produced 500 street legal Stratos $$$$$$$):

Last futzed with by JeffM; November 4th, 2013 at 08:14 AM.
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:39 PM   #91
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

No offense but an Abarth wont make me get rid of the bike. Maybe if she said I could pick up a new c7 in addition to the mustang.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2013, 09:00 PM   #92
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Abarth? no. I sat in one at the auto show. It felt so... wrong. Too high, too to bubbly. Not nearly as sporty inside as the exterior would suggest
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2013, 09:57 PM   #93
Jefft
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R

While the little ninjette is a blast on every ride, I have to admit, my DD is hella fun. I think I'll keep her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ninjette.jpg (127.9 KB, 5 views)
Jefft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #94
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplante View Post
Nope, already got my dream car 2007 VW GTI Fahrenheit
Do you have a manual or the DSG? I'v been thinking about picking up the DSG version so that my girlfriend can drive my car.

Old November 5th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #95
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

this too

massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2013, 04:57 AM   #96
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Realistically no car could get me off my bike permanently. I have a 300whp Bugeye and a brand new BRZ and still couldn't imagine not having a bike.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #97
menikmati

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
Realistically no car could get me off my bike permanently. I have a 300whp Bugeye and a brand new BRZ and still couldn't imagine not having a bike.
Dudes....want.....

Is there anything negative about the BRZ that you can think of? I know that the FR-S is a more bare-bones version of the BRZ in terms of fit and finish (complaints about the tacky interior, but that doesn't bother me).

Old November 6th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #98
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

^^ Nope. I absolutely love the little car. Its a bit nicer place to be than my WRX to be honest so it serves a different purpose. The WRX is fast and ungainly even at times, big sticky tires and that turbo hit that only a car like it can have. Stiff and willing to rotate, its a party with 4 doors but honestly a reflection of maybe a bit of who I was when I got it new in 02 and was single and in college.

10 years later the BRZ is just a wonderful little car, tight, precise, light, and just enough power to use it however you want. But mine is a Limited and loaded too, heated seats, touch screen nav, optioned out, and it a nicer better built more comfortable car that the wife and I can take out (again a bit of a reflection of now vs then)

Old November 6th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #99
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Tesla Model S with a chauffeur. If I had to commute on 4 wheels, I don't want to be the one driving.

Old November 6th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #100
menikmati

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
^^ Nope. I absolutely love the little car. Its a bit nicer place to be than my WRX to be honest so it serves a different purpose. The WRX is fast and ungainly even at times, big sticky tires and that turbo hit that only a car like it can have. Stiff and willing to rotate, its a party with 4 doors but honestly a reflection of maybe a bit of who I was when I got it new in 02 and was single and in college.

10 years later the BRZ is just a wonderful little car, tight, precise, light, and just enough power to use it however you want. But mine is a Limited and loaded too, heated seats, touch screen nav, optioned out, and it a nicer better built more comfortable car that the wife and I can take out (again a bit of a reflection of now vs then)
Does the 200hp of the BRZ seem sufficient? I keep on thinking of the WRX because it's turbocharged at 265hp and has a lot of aftermarket support.

Old November 6th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #101
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

This thread needs moar 'Merica!!

ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 6th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #102
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Does the 200hp of the BRZ seem sufficient? I keep on thinking of the WRX because it's turbocharged at 265hp and has a lot of aftermarket support.
Check out the google and the youtubes. Aftermarket is in love with the brz as well. Check out some of the professional jobs. The guy who built ken blocks subie engine likes the brz engine a lot; says it's able to produce more power with less modification than the wrx engine.

That engine is subie's first new engine in a long time. They put a lot of effort into it. That car is my dream car for now.

Old November 7th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #103
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
This thread needs moar 'Merica!!
I do like me some old school american muscle. I need to build me another camero or chevelle.

My current funmobile
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #104
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Check out the google and the youtubes. Aftermarket is in love with the brz as well. Check out some of the professional jobs. The guy who built ken blocks subie engine likes the brz engine a lot; says it's able to produce more power with less modification than the wrx engine.

That engine is subie's first new engine in a long time. They put a lot of effort into it. That car is my dream car for now.
now if only it could tow a motorcycle trailer then I would be considering it over hot hatches as a car that I would own down the road.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #105
Jocaakes
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I would love to have either an S2000 or a Mazda3 (Non speed, or speed3, either/or).
Jocaakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #106
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

@menikmati I've been flip flopping between the WRX and the BRZ myself. I'm pretty settled on getting a BRZ though as I've wanted a small RWD coupe for a long long time. But the WRX is more practical, quicker, has AWD, and is more versatile, which keeps me coming back to it. The aftermarket for the BRZ and FR-S is huge, there are almost too many options. You should wait till the L.A. Auto Show, the new WRX is supposed to be revealed at the show and will supposedly be using the FA20 (BRZ engine) turbocharged to produce more hp than the current models. I'm planning to get a BRZ soon(if I get a good deal), since my current car has been having several issues since I brought it here.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2013, 12:36 AM   #107
menikmati

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
@menikmati I've been flip flopping between the WRX and the BRZ myself. I'm pretty settled on getting a BRZ though as I've wanted a small RWD coupe for a long long time. But the WRX is more practical, quicker, has AWD, and is more versatile, which keeps me coming back to it. The aftermarket for the BRZ and FR-S is huge, there are almost too many options. You should wait till the L.A. Auto Show, the new WRX is supposed to be revealed at the show and will supposedly be using the FA20 (BRZ engine) turbocharged to produce more hp than the current models. I'm planning to get a BRZ soon(if I get a good deal), since my current car has been having several issues since I brought it here.
As of right now I'm still leaning towards the FR-S, but I keep on having the WRX on my mind due to it being turbocharged and at around relatively the same price point.

I won't be getting either until early next year so I'll have a lot of time to think about the pros and cons of each car.

Hearing a WRX with the Cobb SF intake makes me just want that damn car.

Old November 11th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #108
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

But she doesn't keep me off the bike

And neither does she

Old November 11th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #109
MagicMike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250J

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
Probably a built STI, it would have to do 0-60 somewhere in the 3 second region, and maintain reliability.
hahahahaha

So, you aren't planning on getting off the bike then?
MagicMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #110
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

No not really. Honestly, the bike is a completely different animal than any car. I love cars more than I love bikes, but I don't think I would trade my bike for any car. I would rather just have a high performance car and a high performance bike. It's a different sensation.

Old November 13th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #111
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

@menikmati I hear you on that. Well tuned Subi's make for some great audio.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #112
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #113
Treyzian
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

One of the main reasons I have a bike is to commute. I only got my bike to save my car from miles...

And that love of my life is:

Treyzian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #114
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Name: OC

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, 2012 Ducati Monster 696 (sold), 2012 Ninja 250 (sold)

Jeff, that second shot is awesome. Where in CA is that?
OCMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #115
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R and '13 ZX-6R

Ariel Atom, 'nuff said.

Old November 14th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #116
Treyzian
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMagnum View Post
Jeff, that second shot is awesome. Where in CA is that?
Thanks, it's at Glendora Mountain Road
Treyzian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2014, 01:34 AM   #117
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

Turn this thread into a zombie... back from the dead. I would just get the car version of the Ninjette

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old March 12th, 2014, 03:35 AM   #118
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
funny, I've always likened the ninjette to a miata. Light, sporty, low on power but the handling is good. There are cars/bikes that are better at everything but part of what makes it fun is its limitations and the fact that you can reach them without going at supersonic speeds, meaning that you can do it reasonably daily.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2014, 05:26 AM   #119
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
As some others said, I don't know if anything could completely keep me off the bike. It's good to have a variety of toys.

I have a Cobalt LS XFE (with a manual, to save $900) that I bought brand new. It was cheap (the spare tire is considered an option) and it's been very reliable for 5 years of commuting (unlike every other vehicle I've owned). It's only rated at 155/150, so it's obviously not a "toy", but the stick and decent torque make it feel a bit like a gokart at least.

I also have two Syclones (one doesn't even have holes in the engine =( ). They aren't amazing for top speed, but the acceleration is killer - it's comparable to the EX500 in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. They're rated at "0-60 in 4.6s ... in the rain" thanks to 400+ lb.ft. (500+ with a chip swap) going through the Corvette-like 700R4 and AWD. They can beat a Ferrari and are more fun than a 3000GT. They're really good at "just going" from a stop. The spec sheet says 280hp/350tq, but Performin' Norman's #1536 put down 292/404 at the wheels. Not too shabby for a pickup with a pushrod V6.

Here's a shot of the new one:

It was recently restored and painted metallic raspberry. I'm hoping to finish up the last little bits and do some minor modding this year.
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #120
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Lol. A Ferrari that does the 1/4 mile in 14+seconds. Beating one of those isn't much to write home about. What's a ninjette's 1/4 mile? 14.8? 15?

Great narration though. I enjoyed the article Those performance numbers are a humbling reminder of how far cars and bikes have come in 20 years.