ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old July 29th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #1
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

I bought an r1!!!

Dear God, I didn't know such power existed. I started in the dirt, moved onto a 250, then an FZ6R, and now I am here with a 2005 R1 streetfighter.

The bike does have an insane amount of power but I find it to be completely manageable. It isn't like if I touch the throttle I will instantly wheelie and die, which is the impression I would get from some people talking about 1000's. This bike sure is a hoot though. It has dirtbike bars so it is extremely comfortable to cruise around on! Anyway here is a pic of my new bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (1).jpg (184.0 KB, 96 views)
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old July 29th, 2014, 01:11 PM   #2
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

cool, not sure I have seen many of those kitted out with standard bars and such, keep it rubber side down and be safe.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Thanks and I will be. There are only a few things wrong that I do not like. One is he got rid of the keyed ignition and put a final kill switch under the passenger seat. I don't feel safe with that

Old July 29th, 2014, 01:24 PM   #4
Xtina
ninjette.org guru

Name: Christina

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300, 2007 Gsxr 600, R6-sold :(

looks like it was a crashed special. hope you got it at a good price.
Xtina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2014, 02:08 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floki View Post
Dear God, I didn't know such power existed. I started in the dirt, moved onto a 250, then an FZ6R, and now I am here with a 2005 R1 streetfighter.

The bike does have an insane amount of power but I find it to be completely manageable. It isn't like if I touch the throttle I will instantly wheelie and die, which is the impression I would get from some people talking about 1000's. This bike sure is a hoot though. It has dirtbike bars so it is extremely comfortable to cruise around on! Anyway here is a pic of my new bike.
it's more like, it works so well that you decide you can do something you actually can't (even though the bike easily can), try to do it at 180mph, and then find out you're doing it wrong.

when you are pussyfooting around any bike will probably be fine. it's when you are trying to push yourself and you start to make mistakes that you notice the "forgiving" qualities of less power and traction.

i still remember the first time romping on my first 100hp kit. i can still feel the testicle pain.

Old July 29th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #6
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

Congrats on your R1, I know what you mean. Those things are fun, I recently rode an R1 myself, the power is great and the bike is agile. The bike felt pretty light and I love the aggressive riding position. Yamaha are great bikes, but the community can be a challenge to deal with. Anyways, have fun with it and say safe.
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2014, 03:05 PM   #7
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
did it come with a legit title?

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #8
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Yep came with a title from Florida and I was able to register it today @subxero

Old July 31st, 2014, 07:33 AM   #9
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

I agree with @alex.s

You'll be fine as long as you respect the bike. It's a machine that could kill you in an instant, never forget that.

Old July 31st, 2014, 08:54 AM   #10
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Sick bike, with a sick look

I really like that all blacked out, what head light is that?

congrats on a nasty ride.

if you lowered the head light like 2 inches i think it would look more natural to the bike, just a thought lol
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2014, 08:57 AM   #11
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Congratulations on the new bike... The R1 used to be my dream bike at one stage. Beautiful machines...

Old July 31st, 2014, 08:59 AM   #12
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
I agree with @alex.s

You'll be fine as long as you respect the bike. It's a machine that could kill you in an instant, never forget that.
That saying cracks me up. Wtf is respecting an inanimate object going to do? Nothing. The bike is a tool and the skill to use that tool is what matters.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2014, 11:08 AM   #13
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
That saying cracks me up. Wtf is respecting an inanimate object going to do? Nothing. The bike is a tool and the skill to use that tool is what matters.
It's a very valid statement... "Respect" means appreciating how quickly things can go down South, if you f**k up...

Old July 31st, 2014, 11:36 AM   #14
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

Congrats!! That's a cool bike. Reminds me of the B-King (one of my dream bikes)
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2014, 01:07 PM   #15
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I actually quite like that style, it really fits with the mentality of a hooligan machine

Old July 31st, 2014, 02:36 PM   #16
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
I'm sure we will find you in the "!%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!" section some day.

Straight from the dictionary:

Respect - a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

I respect my bike (something) for it's ability to project me through space at speeds far greater than I could possible achieve by running.

Old July 31st, 2014, 03:05 PM   #17
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Quote:

Straight from the dictionary:

Respect - a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

I respect my bike (something) for it's ability to project me through space at speeds far greater than I could possible achieve by running.
You keep on doing that then. Let me know how it's bettered you as a rider.

Old July 31st, 2014, 03:08 PM   #18
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
You keep on doing that then. Let me know how it's bettered you as a rider.
It doesn't make me a "better" rider. It makes me a smarter rider.

Old July 31st, 2014, 10:24 PM   #19
Singh2jz

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

Congrats, yo! Looks hawt..

Old August 1st, 2014, 05:31 AM   #20
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
lol dude, Tom is one of the few members here who's never made a stupid riding comment on this forum. He's been here a while and has always had a good head on his shoulders. You're preaching to the choir on the smart riding thing.

What tom is trying to say (I think) is that it's not like the motorcycle has a mind of its own. It won't just magically dump you. You don't have to pray to its godly likeness before riding, in hopes that it will see favor upon you and not make you crash. It's a machine. it does what you tell it to. The reason we tell new riders to respect their bikes is because they often forget that the bike's limits are higher than their own. At a comfortable pace for a supersport bike, they run quickly into the limits of their visual skills and the end of their comfort zone, long before their bike is even nearing the limits of grip or cornering ability. The reason riders crash bikes is because they overwhelm themselves. You can even do this on the ninja 250, but it's easier not to because it's a slow and simple bike with a forgiving nature at the limit. I guess the warning should not be 'respect the bike', but 'remember how much you suck' or 'don't forget your limitations' or 'ride within your limits'.

choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old August 1st, 2014, 10:52 AM   #21
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Wtf happened in here?

Nice score on the bike, hope you got a deal on it.

Enjoy the power, but don't let it make you a lazy rider. And... welcome to team yammi. Get you some michelin tires on that thing, the yammi, fat man combo is hard to beat.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2014, 02:23 PM   #22
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
lol dude, Tom is one of the few members here who's never made a stupid riding comment on this forum. He's been here a while and has always had a good head on his shoulders. You're preaching to the choir on the smart riding thing.

What tom is trying to say (I think) is that it's not like the motorcycle has a mind of its own. It won't just magically dump you. You don't have to pray to its godly likeness before riding, in hopes that it will see favor upon you and not make you crash. It's a machine. it does what you tell it to. The reason we tell new riders to respect their bikes is because they often forget that the bike's limits are higher than their own. At a comfortable pace for a supersport bike, they run quickly into the limits of their visual skills and the end of their comfort zone, long before their bike is even nearing the limits of grip or cornering ability. The reason riders crash bikes is because they overwhelm themselves. You can even do this on the ninja 250, but it's easier not to because it's a slow and simple bike with a forgiving nature at the limit. I guess the warning should not be 'respect the bike', but 'remember how much you suck' or 'don't forget your limitations' or 'ride within your limits'.

Ya, basically why I don't like that saying is that it doesn't actually mean anything. And you get squids telling other squids just "respect the bike man and you'll be fine". Then when someone crashes for whatever reason it's because they didn't "respect the bike bro", like some blanket catch all and they don't put any effort into actually figuring out why it happened and how they should improve.

Devote your time and energy into developing skills as a new rider Danny, not hoping that respecting a bike is going to do anything for you.

Old August 1st, 2014, 04:36 PM   #23
Dredgshadow
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2013 600RR, 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
it's more like, it works so well that you decide you can do something you actually can't (even though the bike easily can), try to do it at 180mph, and then find out you're doing it wrong.

when you are pussyfooting around any bike will probably be fine. it's when you are trying to push yourself and you start to make mistakes that you notice the "forgiving" qualities of less power and traction.

i still remember the first time romping on my first 100hp kit. i can still feel the testicle pain.
This is truth as much as any I've heard. On my 600 it feels like the 250 until you give it the beans on an entrance ramp or something and stuff starts happening real quick
Dredgshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2014, 04:53 AM   #24
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Looks pretty nice,, Congrats
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2014, 09:05 AM   #25
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Ya, basically why I don't like that saying is that it doesn't actually mean anything. And you get squids telling other squids just "respect the bike man and you'll be fine". Then when someone crashes for whatever reason it's because they didn't "respect the bike bro", like some blanket catch all and they don't put any effort into actually figuring out why it happened and how they should improve.

Devote your time and energy into developing skills as a new rider Danny, not hoping that respecting a bike is going to do anything for you.
I appreciate the tip, I wouldn't consider myself a squid, but maybe I'm seen that way.

I see respecting a bike as just making sure you don't get over confident, that's all. Obviously no matter how powerful the bike is as long as you are a competent rider you'll be fine...

You live in RI? Maybe some time we should get together. What roads to you ride?

Old August 8th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #26
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
that bike is STELLAR
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 09:59 AM   #27
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Hey, there's a cool mod for the R1 that came from overseas country that had 1/2 the HP.. I checked this on my bike, seemed to pep it up! The secondary throttle blades are controlled by the ECU, so there held back midrange. The FZ1 flies mod works well, but you have to remap.. This is simple mod to try.

For the US 04-06 model, it has to have the CO mod done first. This is where you can adjust idle mixture via the dash, like carb idle mix screws. Go into Diag, see if you can change between Diag & CO < if you can its been done!
If not, theres a green/brown stripe wire at the ECU that needs grounding. its a loop wire on pins 33 & 38. pull it out from the harness @ ecu and ground it.

Now, for the unrestricted mode. Go into Diag.. Now when you select Diag 70, keep holding the button & push the reset button too.. Hold both buttons for 20 seconds. The check engine light will come on.. If its a steady light, its in restricted mode.. Hit either reset or select to make the light blink. < Blinking light is Un-restricted mode.. Turn the key off and take it for a ride.. On mine, its lifting the front wheel with way less throttle! seems to be a good mod
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #28
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Hey, there's a cool mod for the R1 that came from overseas country that had 1/2 the HP.. I checked this on my bike, seemed to pep it up! The secondary throttle blades are controlled by the ECU, so there held back midrange. The FZ1 flies mod works well, but you have to remap.. This is simple mod to try.

For the US 04-06 model, it has to have the CO mod done first. This is where you can adjust idle mixture via the dash, like carb idle mix screws. Go into Diag, see if you can change between Diag & CO < if you can its been done!
If not, theres a green/brown stripe wire at the ECU that needs grounding. its a loop wire on pins 33 & 38. pull it out from the harness @ ecu and ground it.

Now, for the unrestricted mode. Go into Diag.. Now when you select Diag 70, keep holding the button & push the reset button too.. Hold both buttons for 20 seconds. The check engine light will come on.. If its a steady light, its in restricted mode.. Hit either reset or select to make the light blink. < Blinking light is Un-restricted mode.. Turn the key off and take it for a ride.. On mine, its lifting the front wheel with way less throttle! seems to be a good mod

My bike has had the wiring tampered with so it'll probably be way more complicated. Today the rain made my check engine light and oil light come on so idk what he did.

@Klondike1020 I just found out it's the MT03 headlight from overseas

Old September 28th, 2014, 05:48 PM   #29
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Congrats on the bike.
So, now that you have had it for a month + how do you like the bike?
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2014, 06:10 PM   #30
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

I love this bike. The power is there in every gear at almost any speed. The brakes are awesome, it's a little tricky emergency braking and keeping the rear from locking up. Fuel mileage is almost garbage, especially since it's geared -1/+2 and I commute at 60-80mph. The streetfighter probably doesn't help my mileage either. I use twice the oil as the 250 and the filters cost around $20. Maintenance in general seems pricier. I'm clueless on where to measure my chain slack because the manual says .7-.9 in from lower fairing but uh... yeah.

I can feel all the heat from the engine, and especially the seat warming undertail exhaust. Riding with a passenger feels off because they are put in a position to lean forward but my bars have me upright. The ride on bumpy roads is not pleasant. The feeling in the twisties is VERYYY pleasant . The gearbox shifts super smooth and never catch false neutrals. The clutch has a decent friction zone and the throttle makes it easy to take off from stops. Did I mention how much I love the upright position? I can still get down in the twisties with the other guys, but am comfortable during the hour long ride to get there.

Old September 28th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #31
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Can you add faring to help with heat? It sounds like you are happy with it.
Cool thing is the power is there if you need it and it would be easy to track.

My huddys 14 has a drinking problem, she guzzles gas. But no issues with oil, it uses the same filter as the 300 just a little more oil.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2014, 06:20 PM   #32
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
Can you add faring to help with heat? It sounds like you are happy with it.
Cool thing is the power is there if you need it and it would be easy to track.

My huddys 14 has a drinking problem, she guzzles gas. But no issues with oil, it uses the same filter as the 300 just a little more oil.
I might be wrong but I remember the filter on the 250 costing ~$6 and this one is ~$18 and up. And it uses 3.7L verus the ninjette 1.7L

I have had the power get me out of trouble in traffic a few times, and it's nice because you never know if the person behind you is ready to brake in certain scenarios. As for the heat, it's not really a problem because when it's hot enough to be a bother you're typically already sweating from the heat outside. It's just an added bummer lol. I'm sure the fully faired R1s don't have all the heat going on your legs.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 29th, 2014, 11:20 AM   #33
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:
As for the heat, it's not really a problem because .
Its not a problem because...?>..

If ya cannot handle the heat then get out of the kitchen !

With great power comes........ great fuel consumption!

More power - usually means more oil... unless you go dry sump.
In that case more power means less oil?

Great to hear the bike is a good experience. Get some more photos or even a video.

Old September 29th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #34
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
Its not a problem because...?>..

If ya cannot handle the heat then get out of the kitchen !

With great power comes........ great fuel consumption!

More power - usually means more oil... unless you go dry sump.
In that case more power means less oil?

Great to hear the bike is a good experience. Get some more photos or even a video.
In about a month I will have a nice track video for you

Old September 29th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #35
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:
In about a month I will have a nice track video for you
Geeze - that's a lot is suspense.

Old October 1st, 2014, 05:26 AM   #36
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Sweet bike!! I was just looking at streetfightered R1s the other day.

I'm not sure I like the headlight that's on there, I'd probably replace it with something Yamaha OEM from one of the FZ bikes.

What did the builder do about the coolant reservoir? Is it just out in the open on the other side?

I just found this one on Google.

I'v always been into naked bikes, but not so much the neutered performance. So I'm kind of considering for my next bike a R1 setup like the above photos. The only thing that would suck is paying liter bike insurance rates for a naked bike. Insurance on a Z1000 is so much cheaper.

Old October 1st, 2014, 05:29 AM   #37
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
Sweet bike!! I was just looking at streetfightered R1s the other day.

I'm not sure I like the headlight that's on there, I'd probably replace it with something Yamaha OEM from one of the FZ bikes.

What did the builder do about the coolant reservoir? Is it just out in the open on the other side?
The headlight is from the FZ series (well MT overseas) and the coolant reservoir on this bike is by the rear shock in the middle of the bike.

Old October 1st, 2014, 05:45 AM   #38
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
The headlight is from the FZ series (well MT overseas) and the coolant reservoir on this bike is by the rear shock in the middle of the bike.
That's pretty sweet on the reservoir.

As far as the headlight maybe it's just too high? I don't know it just looks weird to me but maybe it's the photo.

On my bike the light seems to be mounted in a way that covers a lot more of the lower triples.

Old October 1st, 2014, 07:38 AM   #39
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
That's pretty sweet on the reservoir.

As far as the headlight maybe it's just too high? I don't know it just looks weird to me but maybe it's the photo.

On my bike the light seems to be mounted in a way that covers a lot more of the lower triples.

The mount that's on it isn't the oem one so it has it higher than it should be even after I lowered it after taking this picture. Also, I nee to get a bug screen because my dash has exposed wires so if I lower it more the wind and bugs will ffffff that up. Also the coolant overflow is stock by the shock, no need to move it. You'll love the R1 but like you said, maybe not the insurance

Old October 1st, 2014, 07:55 AM   #40
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
The mount that's on it isn't the oem one so it has it higher than it should be even after I lowered it after taking this picture. Also, I nee to get a bug screen because my dash has exposed wires so if I lower it more the wind and bugs will ffffff that up.
Wires... ugh.

I had the hardest time with the wiring on my setup, I'm still not completely satisfied with how I have them routed. I might pull my light off during the winter and mess with it a bit.