ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old July 1st, 2014, 06:36 PM   #1
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Exclamation Went off the road, somehow managed to save it.

Went for a little joyride this evening on the 300. I was hitting some of the twisty roads in the area, and everything was going good. I just put some new tires on not long ago and I was feeling pretty confident in the turns.

Heading home I was getting on the freeway via an on-ramp. This particular on-ramp has a blind left turn, where your view is blocked by a concrete barrier, followed by a sharp right turn before you merge onto the freeway. When I was getting onto the ramp I saw an eclipse ahead of me that was going pretty quick, so I figured I would try to catch it... bad idea.

I went into the turn faster than I normally would, and I think I might have went into it a little crossed up (I'm also not as confident with left turns compared to right). I also went into the turn a little too casually, and I think my concentration level was at about 75-80% when it needed to be at 100%.

Anyway, midway through the turn I felt a wobble from the rear end, probably due to my bad body position, and I thought I was gonna lose it. Instead I stood the bike straight up and went off the road into the grass at about 50 mph. I couldn't believe what was happening, I've never once ran off the road before. I've had a few close calls, but that was many years ago when I was still learning to ride on the street.

As soon as I went off the road I went down an embankment. It's amazing how many thoughts can go through your head in such a short time. At first I remember thinking "this isn't real",.. but it was obvious that it was. Then I thought "well I guess I'm gonna crash, it happens to a lot of people, that's what insurance is for". Then I thought "No, F*** that! I don't want to crash my almost new bike that I've put so much work into".

Somehow I had managed to not crash in the first few seconds. I think it was because I didn't panic (partially because I couldn't believe it), and beause I just gripped the tank with my legs and kept a lose grip on the bars. I tried the brakes, but that seemed to make things worse as the bars were bouncing around all over the place, so I got off the brakes. Then I remembered, from messing around on my supermoto, how much street tires suck in the grass, and I thought there was no way I was gonna pull this off.

But I kept coasting and carefully turned back up the embankment. I was able to make it back to the road, looked behind me and saw no cars, so I continued onto the freeway still in disbelief. Got off at the next exit to check out the bike, looked no worse for the wear. Took it easy the rest of the way home thankful that I'd somehow not crashed.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Singh2jz
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

@YO, this guy deserves an achievement!

Super glad everything went well and that you didn't panic!

Old July 1st, 2014, 06:48 PM   #3
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Here's the turn where I went off.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8229...yi5w!2e0?hl=en

Old July 1st, 2014, 07:13 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
.........I just put some new tires on not long ago..........
That may have been part of the problem.

Good save !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2014, 07:15 PM   #5
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Daaang. Scary stuff. Thanks for sharing. It's a good reminder to never get complacent/too comfy, no matter how much experience one has in the saddle.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2014, 07:18 PM   #6
KrazyWalle
ninjette.org member

Name: oswaldo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Passion Red, Ca Model)

Damn that's crazy you pulled that off. I've always told myself if I end up off the road just ride it out, no abrupt movements, hope to slow down and not lay it down. But under stress and your heart racing is a different story.. Glad you made it and just casually kept riding like nothing happened...

Old July 1st, 2014, 07:26 PM   #7
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
That may have been part of the problem.

Good save !!!
Nahh, I don't think so. I just took the turn faster than I should have.

Old July 1st, 2014, 07:33 PM   #8
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

That road looks so fun I don't know if you mentioned it but have you been on it before? I like to go slow, squeeze the clutch, and keep the bike up as straight as a can coasting through the turn when I can't see what's around it, and as soon as possible apply power smoothly. It may be a newb move but I use the clutch as a tool, that's how it was taught to me and it's helped me avoid countless situations.

Old July 1st, 2014, 07:46 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
I tried the brakes, but that seemed to make things worse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brakes.are.for.sissies.jpg (35.0 KB, 3 views)
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 1st, 2014, 08:21 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
.......... I like to go slow, squeeze the clutch, and keep the bike up as straight as a can coasting through the turn when I can't see what's around it, and as soon as possible apply power smoothly. It may be a newb move but I use the clutch as a tool, that's how it was taught to me and it's helped me avoid countless situations.
I would recommend steady throttle over clutching-in.

Coasting through any turn, even as a caution, could be dangerous.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 1st, 2014, 08:25 PM   #11
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I would recommend steady throttle over clutching-in.

Coasting through any turn, even as a caution, could be dangerous.
Yes, I have been increasing my throttle use rather using the clutch, but sometimes I find myself in the wrong gear and the bike will either be dragging or accelerating too fast for the turn, and throttle might just mess me up more than I already have, but this is my own problem and turns are getting easier every time I ride. I would say if you need to, and have the room for keeping the bike upright; coast. It's a little safer and ensures you won't go flying off the road at high speed. Always power out using throttle and keep looking where you want to go the other 99%.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:53 AM   #12
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Glad you made it through that alright... I've run off the track twice now into gravel and I realised the best thing I could do was to do nothing. Worked both times.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:36 AM   #13
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
...I also went into the turn a little too casually, and I think my concentration level was at about 75-80% when it needed to be at 100%...
Good keeping it up

Someone, what is that keith code quote about being fastest only when you ride at 90% of your ability or something like that?

Gotta leave some in the reserve for what if's.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:44 AM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
Good keeping it up

Someone, what is that keith code quote about being fastest only when you ride at 90% of your ability or something like that?

Gotta leave some in the reserve for what if's.
You can learn while riding at 75% of your ability. - K. Code

Notice there is nothing about fast is in the quote. - ijs The key to ninjamunky85's quote above, is he said "attention" and yea, 100% attention is best but to error is human.

imho, this is where the rear brake shines. When you flying down the grass and you need some scrub some speed. Sure you can just ride it out if ya got the room, but what if you don't?

Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:55 AM   #15
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ don't think this is the one I was thinking of. Ill do another hunt. I could just be making **** up to.

Edit: should have known better than the question the Csmith. he pretty much had it paraphrased perfectly.

10 min in on TofTW2

"To make real improvements, riders can expect to hit a high level of technical skill but only if they ride at 75% of their limit."

I guess it isn't a directly related quote but you can see perhaps a little of how it relates. If you needed absolutely 100% of your concentration perhaps you were riding a little to close to the limit? IDK... just pretend I'm not here, trying to salvage sinking ship...is it working?

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:06 AM   #16
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Way to keep your head in a bad situation. Lucky there was a big grass embankment and not a clump of trees off that turn.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:46 AM   #17
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Nice save!

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:53 AM   #18
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
^ don't think this is the one I was thinking of. Ill do another hunt. I could just be making **** up to.

Edit: should have known better than the question the Csmith. he pretty much had it paraphrased perfectly.

10 min in on TofTW2

"To make real improvements, riders can expect to hit a high level of technical skill but only if they ride at 75% of their limit."

I guess it isn't a directly related quote but you can see perhaps a little of how it relates. If you needed absolutely 100% of your concentration perhaps you were riding a little to close to the limit? IDK... just pretend I'm not here, trying to salvage sinking ship...is it working?
You can ride at way below skill level and still need to fully concentrate on the road. Spacing out any amount on the street isn't good no matter what level you're riding at. I've commuted a lot with lane-splitting at the same level and I'm perfectly comfortable with my commute, but I still wouldn't want to let down my focus for one second. I notice the difference when I'm sleepy and don't focus well - it's kinda scary.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2014, 11:04 AM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
I am human, I make plenty of mistakes. I CAN be questioned, I am humble like that.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 11:12 AM   #20
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
You can ride at way below skill level and still need to fully concentrate on the road. Spacing out any amount on the street isn't good no matter what level you're riding at. I've commuted a lot with lane-splitting at the same level and I'm perfectly comfortable with my commute, but I still wouldn't want to let down my focus for one second. I notice the difference when I'm sleepy and don't focus well - it's kinda scary.
It is hard to explain, I see focus and concentration as 2 different things.

You can be focused on a task but not need any concentration to execute it, like muscle memory

Like playing basketball or other things, you can be focused on the game, the basket but when you pull up to take the shot you don't concentrate on how you hold the ball, how you release it, you just let it happen naturally. Concentrate to much and you are bound to blow it and if you have to concentrate on the task perhaps it highlights that you have not practiced enough IMO.

"Don't think, feel. It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory" B. Lee

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:58 PM   #21
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Nice save man!
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2014, 05:49 PM   #22
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:

I guess it isn't a directly related quote but you can see perhaps a little of how it relates. If you needed absolutely 100% of your concentration perhaps you were riding a little to close to the limit?
I guess I shouldn't have used the work "concentration", what I meant was attention. I wasn't really giving all of my focus, or attention to taking the turn and that was what bit me on the ass. I also admit that I was pushing it harder than I should have been, I shouldn't have been going as fast as I was.

I went back today to check out where it all went down. Here's the pics

In the middle of the second pic you can see my path off the road. Scary sh*&!

Old July 2nd, 2014, 05:51 PM   #23
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

You lucky dog you.....

So you "went back" aye? Question is, did your ride or cage?

Old July 2nd, 2014, 05:56 PM   #24
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Nah, I rode the bike, it's an area that I ride around a lot, but I was riding a little more cautiously today.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:02 PM   #25
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Hold up, I have taken that exit myself hauling bikes. In fact, I got gas at the Sunoco just near there. lol small world.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:06 PM   #26
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Yeah it's getting onto I-71. Next time get gas at one of the next two exits though, that station is overpriced $$$.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:09 PM   #27
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

indeed it is.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:21 PM   #28
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

lolz
glad you made it!

Old July 5th, 2014, 07:32 AM   #29
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

@ninjamunky85, You were very lucky. I hope this blessing teaches you the importantance of full concentration while riding. I had a similar experience many years ago when I drove off the roadway while on a confusing freeway onramp at night. I also was able to safely negotiate the wildest, bumpiest 5 seconds of my life to come to a safe stop unscathed. The things I learned from this experience was to never give up trying to ride through a hazard and that correct usage of the rear brake in loose traction conditions is critical.
A big mistake can be overcome if you can turn up your efforts all the way for a recovery. Good save!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #30
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
.......A big mistake can be overcome if you can turn up your efforts all the way for a recovery........